Update: August 1, 2011
Thanks to your generosity and community spirit, we have reached the goal of $60,000! We are moving the entire Pleasant Street DVD collection to Forbes Library. But we still need your help! Read on:
Eight thousand DVDs now need to be cataloged, processed, and made securely available to the public. The estimated cost of this project is nearly $34,000:
- Security cases (for those on the shelf at any given time): $4.63 X 3,000 = $13,890
- Video cases (for those where the existing case needs replacing): $.50 - $4.00 X 1,600 = $1,200
- Supplies (labels, etc.) $.50 X 8,000 = $4,000
- Labor (5 min. per video) = $14,880
Please continue to help move this wonderful project to completion by clicking the link below. Thank you for your support!
Over the past 25 years, Pleasant Street Video built an impressive film library serving film lovers from all over New England. Whether you prefer documentaries or Doctor Strangelove, Capra or cult classics, the latest from Sundance or films from Hollywood's golden age, Pleasant St. had your favorites.
Sadly, the video store fell victim to online competition and had to close July 15, 2011. But the video collection will live on ... thanks to your help.
Many customers and patrons expressed a desire that this unique and wonderful catalog of movies should stay in the area. The business had run in the red for some time and needed to liquidate its collection to pay debts. Because the Forbes Library's video budget couldn't come close to covering the value of Pleasant Street's 8,000 videos, a fundraising campaign was launched.
In early June, Forbes Library and Pleasant Street Video began raising $60,000 to move Pleasant Street Video's 8,000 films permanently to Northampton's Forbes Library. That triples the library's DVD collection, and keeps Pleasant Street's films—including many rare and out-of-print titles—available to the local community, free.
We still need your help to get these videos on to the library shelves.
- Tax-deductible donations of any size are welcome, but please donate today.
- You can write a check payable to Forbes Library, and mail to Forbes Library, Attn: PSV Fund, 20 West St., Northampton MA 01060.
- You can click the button below to donate online.
- Or you can donate in person at Forbes Library.
Update July 29: Limited Edition Fine Art Prints, donated by Robert Sweeney and Jim Gipe, sold out
A big thank you to all who purchased one of these 25
prints for a $100 donation to the Forbes Library.