Subject Guides » Personal Finance
MyMoney.gov is the U.S. government's website dedicated to teaching all Americans the basics about financial education.
- Money Matters
This website from the Federal Trade Commision covers scams, credit cards, budgeting, saving, and debt.
- Money 101
"A step by step guide to gaining control of your financial life" from CNN.
- Center for Women and Financial Independence
The Center for Women and Financial Independence aims to enable Smith students to manage their own financial wellbeing, but there website includes resources which will be valuable to anyone who desires a better understanding of personal finance.
- Books on Personal Finance from Forbes Library
Forbes Library has over a hundred circulating books on personal finance, including books on debt and investing. Additional titles are available through interlibrary loan.
- Cashing Checks and Opening Bank Accounts from masslegalhelp.org
Discusses cashing checks and when it may be appropriate to open a bank account.
- Selecting Banks & Credit Unions from the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs & Business Regulation
- Loans and Mortages from the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs & Business Regulation
- 18-65 Law: No-Fee Bank Accounts from the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs & Business Regulation
Information about the Massachusetts law that allows anyone 18 years of age or younger or 65 years of age or older to have a free savings account and checking account.
- Annual Credit Report www.annualcreditreport.com
This is the only official source for your free copy of your credit report, which you are entitled to once a year. Watch out for scam sites that want to charge money or take your personal information!
- Credit Counseling Programs from massresources.org/
A simple explanation of Credit Counseling Programs, how they work, and how to apply.
- Privacy & Identity Theft from the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs & Business Regulation
- Fighting Back Against Identity Theft from the Federal Trade Commission
A one-stop national resource about identity theft, from the FTC. It provides detailed information to help you deter, detect, and defend against identity theft.